Sunday, December 27, 2009

(secret dj) Bill's Top 10 of 2009

Ask me to make the same list in 3 months and it'll be different. Best of the rest includes the 2009 albums by Metric, Pearl Jam, Phoenix, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Jay-Z.

Just missing the list were The Tallest Man on Earth "Shallow Graves", The Thermals "Now We Can See", Jay Farrar & Ben Gibbard "One Fast Move or I'm Gone", and We Were Promised Jetpacks "These Four Walls".

10) Them Crooked Vultures "Them Crooked Vultures" - I changed my mind on number ten several times, but ultimately stuck with my gut instinct on this rocker.

9) Alexi Murdoch "Away We Go (soundtrack)" - While many of the songs to this soundtrack have been previously released, this is the first major release by this artist. A bold choice for anchoring the whole soundtrack. A few classic songs are mixed in, but it's Murdoch's songs and Nick Drake channeling that sets the tone.

8) Wolfmother "Cosmic Egg" - third and so far best album by the group, and would've scored higher if it could maintain, but there are some throw away tracks.

7) Wilco "Wilco" - why shouldn't this be in the list? While it's not better than their last two albums, its not worse either, merely coasting will keep you in this time Mr. Tweedy.

6) White Denim "Fits" - Listened by chance and still digesting this souped up garage rock. Lo-Fi quality adds to the charm to their second album. I Start to Run

5) Avett Brothers "I and Love and You" - I feel that I arrived to late or too early for the Avett Bros. train. Great live performances pushed this record up, along with my second favorite song of the year that references New York City. I and Love and You

4) Raveonettes "In and Out of Control" - the least conceptual album they've done in a while. Figures then that this is also the most listenable album they've done in a while. Last Dance

3) Matt & Kim "Grand" - a punked-up version of Mates of State. That's just fine by me. Lessons Learned

2) Tinariwen "Imidiwan: Companions" - In my end of the year rush I stumbled on this and preferred listening to this album instead of trying new ones. I don't understand a word of it, but the middle-eastern blues sounded good to me. Outlawed in Algeria, so they must be doing something right. Tenhert (The Doe)

1) The Dead Weather "Horehound" - This is the one that said to me, "I'm a rocker. I rock out." Treat Me Like Your Mother

No comments: