Thursday, December 10, 2009

Carl's Top Ten of '09

Hello internet. My name's Carl and I'm here to let you know about my sophomore posting of my Top 10 albums of 2009. This is a great tradition that has started and though my list will most certainly be different from those already out and those yet to come hopefully it won't repulse too many of you! I'm looking forward to the listening party and hoping to once again jump start my much delayed "indie scene" interest. So, without any further ado... my list:

10) Brother Ali - Us

A white albino guy from Minnesota who lays down some of the sickest freestyle I've heard. Collaborates with another underground hip hop icon in Ant.










9) Matisyahu - Light

His 3rd studio album after much touring and the hit album "Youth". I saw him at Summerfest this year and he was quite the draw.










8) Umphrey's McGee - Mantis

Satisfying my personal jam band requirement for the list, this album is easy and fun to listen to.










7) Hatebreed - For The Lions

The album that must go on when there is much mosh pitting to be had. That, or when you need to take out a lamp, pillow, wall, or anything else in your way after a really bad day.










6) Lonely Island - Incredibad

Funny, funny shit. I was up in the old stomping grounds of Oshkosh and popped into Molly's (don't ask) and they were playing "On A Boat". Hilarity ensued.










5) Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt 2

Ok, I did see this on someone else's list this year... and rightfully so. "The Chef" from Wu-Tang is still bringin it.










4) Japandroids - Post Nothing

Uh-oh... Carl heard of, listened to, and liked an entire "indie" album? Well isn't he all growns up!










3) 311 - Uplifter

C'mon now. Those who know me, knew this was going on. I've been listening to them since 1995 and have no intentions on stopping. Chad Sexton is my personal idol.










2) Dubstep: Various Artists - Tectonic Plates Vol 2

Sorry Matt... I know you said no compliations but it was hard enough to find anything from this genre, available on lala, and with an '09 release date! I started listening to dubstep this summer and must say ever since I've given my subwoofers more than their fair share of workouts.










1) Jay-Z - The Blueprint 3

Argueably the greatest rapper out of NY since Biggie, Jay-Z once again erupted full force with the highly anticipated "Blueprint 3". The single "Empire State of Mind" with Alicia Keys is a smash hit and was performed at the World Series... works for me. My personal favorite off the album is with Pharrell called "So Ambitious".



No comments: