Monday, December 21, 2009

Carl's top ... of the decade

This past decade was quite an adventure for me personally and musically. My list is derived of choices with strong emotional attachments more than anything else. Hearing certain albums can instantly tansport me back to times, places, and events like not much else can. As I'm sure it is with most everyone else here, both the decade and the year lists have as much to say about who they are as a person as it does what bands are relavant for the times. So, I present to you all my top albums of the 2000's...

1. Radiohead - Kid A (2000)



Probably one of the consensus top picks for this decade list, this album is a masterly crafted piece through and through. Nothing else can instantly take me back to living in Nelson Hall my freshman year at Oshkosh like this album can. It deserves all the accolades it's been bestowed.

2. Outkast - Stankonia (2000)



An album that once again can take me right back to the ever infamous "Club Cherry" in Oshkosh. Musically, Outkast brought southern rap to the forefront and claimed their rightful place as its genre's kings.

3. 311 - Don't Tread On Me (2005)



311's 8th studio album and one that is from a band that has been a consistent favorite of mine since 1995. Go ahead, give me a hard time for this pick... if you know me, you knew at least one of their albums was coming on up this high.

4. Tool - Lateralus (2001)



Easily the best hard rock album on my list and quite possibly of the decade. Mind numbing drum solos, rediculous guitar riffs, and spine chilling vocals round out this "front to back" album.

5. Dropkick Murphys - Sing Loud, Sing Proud! (2001)



I unofficially met Ken Casey this summer at Summerfest. He came out into the crowd for one of the last songs of the night and stopped a few feet in front of me. This south Boston bagpiping Irish punk rock group puts on one of the more intense live shows you'll ever see... and I highly recommend seeing one.

6. Deftones - White Pony (2000)



White Pony was the first CD I bought after graduating from boot camp in August of 2000. I must have listened to that album 20 times over before finally arriving back home a few days later. As a group, Deftones sets the standard for innovative, poetic hard rock.

7. Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, Paint That Shit Gold (2008)



Unfortunately I really didn't get into these guys until after hearing this album. Not to say the stuff I caught up on isn't good, this album just has some of my favorite tracks from these guys on it. Give this vid a listen and see what I mean...

8. Matisyahu - Youth (2006)



Who would have thought that a Hasidic Jewish reggae singer would make it as big as this guy has? Hailing from White Plains, NY Matisyahu not only puts down some fantastic jams, but flows with the best of them and is a phenonemal beat-boxer to boot. Awesome live shows.

9. Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere (2006)



"What do you mean this guy is C-Lo??" I probably like so many of you wondered that in amazement as well. What I didn't wonder about was the awesomeness of the album.

10. Jay-Z - American Gangster (2007)



American Gangster tied Jay-Z with Elvis for most #1 albums. I guess the guy's pretty good huh? Seriously though, this album pretty much defined what you heard in my car the winter of 2007.


11. Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies (2002)



If Swagger was this groups Wild Turkey, then Drunken Lullabies is their Tullamore Dew. Great for a night of drinkin' and dancin' at the townie bar.







12. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter II (2005)



Widely thought to be Lil Wayne's best album Tha Carter II is full of sick flows and enough bass to leave you with a 3 day headache. But his song 'Shooter' w/Robin Thicke is what really motivates me to put this album here.






13. Daft Punk - Discovery (2001)



One of the "musts" in terms of albums to play for a house party; especially in the early part of the decade. Kanye did his best w/'Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger' but nothing beats the original.






14. Sevendust - Animosity (2001)



Atlanta rockers Sevendust released this their first album of the new decade with a much more progressive and experimental feel than albums past. It still rocks your friggin socks off though...






15. Anthony Hamilton - Comin' From Where I'm From (2003)



Smooth, bluesey, and addictive all quite accurately describe this album. Grab your significant other, light a candle, and get to some sweet lovin'.







16. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (2006)



A fun album to listen to it's the Peppers' final (to date) with guitarist John Frusciante.








17. Incubus - Morning View (2001)



This album probably should be ranked higher for me. Speaking earlier of music creating nostalgia moments hearing this album puts me right back in Biloxi, MS cruising down Beach Blvd or driving over to LSU in Baton Rouge, LA.







18. Architecture in Helsinki - Places Like This (2007)



I heard 'Heart it Races' in the mid summer of '07 and needed to hear more. What I heard did not disappoint.







19. Pharrell - In My Mind (2006)



His first solo album features a host of notable guest artists but the quality and body of work as a whole is outstanding. Personal preferences play a large part in like vs dislike of the album. I'm clearly for the former.






20. Snoop Dogg - Rhythm & Gangsta (2004)



In a long list of studio albums by Snoop, R&G stands apart from most. 'Drop it Like It's Hot' was the club banger of '05 and musically the album delivers on many levels.





21. Lonely Island - Incredibad (2009)

22. Radiohead - In Rainbows (2007)

23. 311 - Uplifter (2009)

24. Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (2003)

25. Robin Thicke - The Evolution of Robin Thicke (2006)

26. Phish - Farmhouse (2000)

27. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002)

28. Kanye West - The College Dropout (2004)

29. M.I.A. - Kala (2007)

30. Pepper - Give'n It (2000)

Once again, thank you for reading through my list and I can't wait to see everyone at the listening party.

No comments: