Sunday, December 27, 2009

Erv's list 'o da year.


Had an interesting year in music this year. I've spent most of my time cultivating my music history appreciation. This year for me has been full of 50's-70's rock, r&b, soul to classical symphonies (an interest brought up in me by one of my picks from last year, the score to The Dark Knight).The following is a list of the new albums this year I felt the strongest about. I listened to a lot of stinkers and disappointing albums, for example The Appleseed Cast's disappointing "Sagarmatha." So this list might not equal 10, but it's because I've listened to these albums more than just about anything else this year.



1. Ben Kweller - "Changing Horses"
I've listened to the shit out of this album. I'm honestly surprised nobody else has this album on their list. Everything about this album sounds like home and sounds familiar. The whole album has this folk/early country feel to it. I would find myself listening to this album all day long before I would even realize the whole day has gone by. I've listened to this album more than I've listened to anything else this year. He was also my favorite show of the year as well. Listening to this one on vinyl is also a treat. Has a much richer sound to it.


2. Mos Def - "The Ecstatic"
Mos Def is one of the best MC's out there. This album is just another in a long line of albums that prove that fact. I was instantly hooked from the first song through the last. Nothing can beat the track "Quite Dog Bite Hard" though.

3. Blakroc - "s/t"
The Black Keys, Mos Def, Q-Tip, RZA, Ludacris, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Jim Jones, Pharoah Monch, Billy Danze, Noe, Raekwon, and Nicole Wray. That pretty much says it all. Stay off tha fuckin' flowers.


4. Thrice - "Beggars"
This band's musical tastes and influences have grown and changed over there years as have mine. This is another album that just proves they aren't the one dimensional band that people pegged them as on their first few albums. This band is gonna be around for awhile, I highly recomend picking this album up.

5. Frank Turner - "Poetry of the Deeds"
Also another one of my favorite shows this year. Folky/punky/wise coming of age music. Had I got this one earlier in the year, it probably would have been high up, but alas.

There you have it folks, my top 5 of the year. Do yourself a favor and listen to them all, or send me an e-mail at: ervtang@gmail.com and I'd be happy to help you "find" them.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: