Sunday, December 26, 2010

Matthew Webber's 11 Favorite Albums of 2010

I used to write hundreds and thousands of words, on music and myself and their Venn intersection, but now I just tweet to my tens or ones of followers. I’ve never stopped listening, I listen all the time, but these are the albums that made me want to speak. These are the albums whose chords struck a chord. This is the music that made me miss writing, the music that left me more awestruck than articulate. The music that deserves more than 140 characters.

1. Kaiser Cartel – Secret Transit

She sang into my ear like a lover. I fell.

2. Kate Miller-Heidke – Curiouser

The smart girl who’s wilder than anyone suspects (& also loves your favorite bands).

3. Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

A gryphon & a sexbot walk into a club…

4. Ben Folds & Nick Hornby – Lonely Avenue

Top 5 desert-island rocker/author mixtapes. Go!

5. Taylor Swift – Speak Now

31 y.o. man seeks country/pop ingenue. Must love singing, journaling, avenging.

6. Arcade Fire – The Suburbs

Where the wild things rock out; Canadian beauty.

7. Gorillaz – Plastic Beach

What: A party. Who: Everyone. When: Now. Why: Why not?

8. Janelle Monae – The ArchAndroid

Concept album? Androids? Nope. Just love songs.

9. Erykah Badu – New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh

Part two? Ankhs? Nope. More love songs.

10. Rufus Wainwright – All Days Are Nights: Songs for Lulu

The diva’s throat catches. (His eyeshadow sparkles.) The notes plummet earthward, then ascend to greater mysteries.

11. The Roots – How I Got Over

“Matthew Webber’s Daily Commute: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack”

No comments: