Sunday, December 28, 2008

Tommy T's Top Ten

10. Tapes 'n Tapes - Walk It Off
I have read a lot of sub par reviews of this album but I think it almost as good as the first one and still a hell of a lot better than what most bands are putting out. Catchy tunes that are neither typical or boring.
9. of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping
This is another album that I have heard a lot of bad things about and I went in to it expecting to hate it but there is a lot to like here. Definitely not as tight as Hissing Fauna but I like to see Kevin Barnes experimenting with different styles and I like how they all run together like the whole album is one long song. Soundtrack to an amazing live show.
8. The Dodos - Visiter
If you don't appreciate this album then go see them live and give it another listen. When you watch them you will appreciate the amazing things these guys do with their instruments. I don't know how they can make it through a set without their arms falling off. Nice mix of longer epic songs and short ones scattered between.
7. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Justin Vernon has such an amazing voice. Seeing him at Pitchfork was one of the few times I saw a band play outside and sound as good as most bands sound playing indoors. You know he must be something special when people spend as much as they do arguing how to say his moniker
6. Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight
Direct lyrics and a man not afraid to sound vulnerable make for a very interesting album that stands out. Modern Leper is definitely one of the best tracks of the year.
5. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
This album has the same effect as when I whip out some cheesy ska from my teenage skapunk days. It puts a smile on my face and always puts me in a good mood. How can it not with hilarious Lil Jon references!
4. Beck - Modern Guilt
I was never much of a Beck fan but this album pulled me in. Short and to the point this album is just straight up good.
3. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
This album should be on everyone's list. Every single song is good. A few of the songs and lyrics are cheesy but it had me dancing from day one. Just a good time over all.
2. Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer
At first I didn't think much of this album but it grew on me like crazy. In fact I think I might like it better than their first which is saying a lot because their first album is classic. Language City is the standout track for me but the epic closer is awesome as well due to the dual vocals.
1. Deerhunter - Microcastle
This album both calms and excites. It is so natural. It can be background music to reading a book or it can be rocked out to in the car. If you are not a believer check out Nothing Ever Happened right now!

Looking at this list I am happy to say I got to see 7 out of these 10 bands this year and I am already set to see 1 more of them in a few months.

No comments: