Saturday, December 22, 2007

Matthew Mentele's Top 10 Albums

I'm not very good at explaining but here it is.
No particular order:

1. Arcade Fire-Funeral
Alright we'll just get this one out of the way. Just an amazing follow up.

2. The Evens-Get Evens
I am a huge fan of Ian MacKaye. Almost anything he puts out is very good. This is a two piece with his girlfriend, which sound bad. But they've been able to pull me in with their two Dischord releases.

3. The Hives-Black and White Album
L.O.V.E the H.I.V.E.S. This is one of those bands that I thought their albums were ok, until I saw them live! Now whenever I hear a new album or track of theirs I just get goosebumps thinking about hearing Almqvist screaming it at the top of his lungs. The best live band out there right now.

4. Kayne West-Graduation
He is the best hip hop artist of my generation.

5. King of Leon-Because of the Times/Black Rebel Motorcycle Club-Baby 81
Am I cheating, meh, this is basically the same album As I am a sucker for girls with blond hair, I am a SUCKER for straight up rock and roll. These bands are not doing anything special but that doesn't mean I can't spin these records until my roommates hate me.

6. Ryan Adams-Easy Tiger
I was avoiding this album until someone I trusted told me I HAD to listen. So I did, and damn it, Ryan got me again. From the first track "Goodnight Rose" you know this guy has still got the touch.....even sober.

7. Radiohead-In Rainbows
Much like Arcade Fire people have said enough about this one. But it's very good, what a band.

8. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists-Living with the Living
Not a huge Ted Leo fan but he really got me with this album. Just great, simple pop songs.

9. White Stripes-Icky Thump
Jack White is one of the best musicians we are seeing in my generation. Hopefully Meg can get back out on the road soon.

10. Dax Riggs-We Sing of Only Blood or Love
Keep on eye on this guy. Formerly of deadboy and the elephantmen, this album continues his dirty, bluesy, lo fi version of rock, and it's quite amazing.

Oh yeah and check out a little band called Ha Ha Tonka, Buckle in the Bible Belt. I think they are going to be huge someday:) Sorry, it is the album I've spent the most time with in '07 so I couldn't do an end of the year list without giving it some sort of shout.

1 comment:

Top Ten Albums said...

Finally, someone else feeling the Hives! They are indeed a fantastic live band. My biggest regret this year was missing their show at the Metro...my sister's wedding reception was that weekend and I was Maid of Honor. In retrospect, it would have been worth it to miss it for the Hives and be disowned by my family. Hindsight 20/20.
-Annie