Friday, December 28, 2007

The Fire Eyed's top 10 of 2007 (and other honorables)

10. Eddie Vedder / Into The Wild

The perfect companion to Sean Penn's heart-moving film. Vedder's approach is somewhat Dylanesque, providing lush instrumentals and introspective lyrics throughout a half hour of tunes that are easily just as moving as the film they were made for. It brought a smile to my face when i heard Hard Sun on the good ol' 102.1.



9. Band of Horses / Cease to Begin

Nothing reminds me more of the great Neil Young than this band (of crazy horses? heh).




8. Capgun Coup / Brought To You by Nebraska Fish

Saw this band open for Mr. Conor Oberst in October and i must say i wasn't too impressed at the time, but i recently aquired this album and my opinion was completely changed. Just listen to "Uh Huh" and you'll see what i mean.




7. The Crimea / Secrets of the Witching Hour


I heard about this band in the ever so informative Rolling Stone. The album is free to download off the band's website, which prompted me to do so. My first and only reaction was: "How is this band not huge?" The makings of a new Oasis... minus the fighting Gallagher brothers. Bombay Sapphire Coma is extremely catchy.



6. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club / Baby 81

Two years since the folk tinged Howl, BRMC goes back to their shoegazing roots, sounding more like a disgruntled Jesus and Mary Chain than ever, while still keeping the unplugged aspect on a few tracks. Peter Hayes just may be the most underrated guitar player of this day and age. This band is named after Marlon Brando's motorcycle gang in The Wild One for crying out loud... that in itself should spark enough curiosity in this band's music. I got my favorite librarian hooked on these guys if thats any consolation.



5. Spoon / Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

One of the biggest reasons this album makes the list is because I was lucky enough to see Spoon at summerfest in the first row, which resulted in me meeting my girlfriend. True love amidst indie legends and a really catchy single in "The Underdog"... I thank you Mr. Britt Daniel for making ME a target in what turned out to be one of the greatest moments of my adolescent life. Also many thanks to Dave Iwinski (who is very reminiscent of Stephen Malkmus) for so graciously giving me Farewell Scalar stickers to hand out during Spoon's show. pssst listen to them: www.farewellscalar.com



4. Handsome Furs / Plague Park

Dan Boeckner's Wolf Parade side project with his wife very narrowly edged out the other Wolf Paradee' Spencer Krug and his new Sunset Rubdown album for the number 4 spot. Words cano describe the effect this album has had on me. "Dead + Rural" speaks to me like no other song in the 07' catalog.

" there's emotion in the eye
then a color in the sky
there's no worry to be found
beating life, repeating sound"

... riveting





3. The Arcade Fire / Neon Bible

it is no suprise that Neon Bible makes the top 3. i remember buying this album the day it came out and i swear i must have listened to "Intervention" at least a thousand times since then. Their episode on Austin City Limits even further convinced me that this band is absolutely STELLAR

" Working for the Church while your family dies
You take what they give you and you keep it inside
Ever spark of friendship and love will die without a home
Hear the soldier groan, "We'll go at it alone" "

speaks for itself.




2. Bright Eyes / Cassadaga

while scrolling through the blogspot i have noticed mixed feelings about this album. I for one, had high expectations going into it... and perhaps seeing Conor Oberst twice at the Pabst theater helped Cassadaga take the number 2 spot. I am huge Bright Eyes fan... nothing will obviously come close to Lifted... but Cassadaga is easily one of the most accessible albums Conor Oberst has ever put out... (not to mention the slew of guests that appear over the course of the album). I will not be one to say that Conor Oberst is the new Bob Dylan or that Cassadaga is an attempt at being the new Wilco, but i will say that Conor Oberst deserves all of the attention he receives. Cassadaga... in all its glory... is only a fraction of what i truly think Conor is capable of. Heres to many more wonderful Bright Eyes albums in the future:




1. Two Gallants / Two Gallants

What can I say? This album... unlike any other... is a true voice and sound of America. Take my word for it.







I'm not one for closing statements, but there was truly a plethora of great music released this year. Many albums that I have enjoyed did not make the list... only because i chose the ones that affected me in the most personal of ways. Take my 17 year old opinion how you will, for i know that i still have much to learn in the world of indie music. Heres a list of honorables that i can think of right now:


Some Loud Thunder by Clap Your Hands Say yeah

In Rainbows by Radiohead

Sky Blue Sky by Wilco

Strawberry Jam by Animal Collective

Icky Thump by The White Stripes

Fort Nightly by White Rabbits

Favourite Worst Nightmare by Arctic Monkeys



...and many more that i am forgetting indefinitely.






cheers!

No comments: